Y'all: we moved.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://discohorror.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Miami Vice

Cross-posted at Mind Grapes

Serious question: is Miami Vice the best movie of the 2000s? Not even on some sub-hipster crypto-ironic bullshit (though I should admit: I am not, like, rational when it comes to Michael Mann), on a real tip. Watch it again, homie, 'cause I bet you were one of those dudes scowling when you came out of the theater. And I sympathize! It's not really an easy movie to like. Mann doesn't give a shit about his characters, except that they look good, or the plot, except that it provides him with certain set pieces. Me personally, I like Mann 'cause he's the only guy making 80s movies in the 2000s. But also: this is the best-looking movie since, I don't know, Legend or something. I don't think any other filmmaker right now really knows how to use a digital camera the way Mann does, to milk the grain for those beautiful, bizarre colors.

I think my favorite bit of the movie isn't actually in the movie—it's the trailer, which made me go from being annoyed by the Jay-Z/Linkin Park mashup to loving it. I'm not going to post it here, but I will YouTube the trailer:




I don't know what to say, man. the dude makes me want to move to Miami. I won't insult your intelligence by posting In the Air Tonight, either, but, dude, if you haven't seen this, then... kill yourself:



Anyway. Michael Mann has just about the worst taste in music of any major filmmaker nowadays (though, I'll say, he makes it work for him), but when he was producing and directing the Miami Vice TV show, it had one of the best soundtracks on TV—not just the Phil Collins jams, either: motherfucking Jan Hammer. "Crockett's Theme" is the classic (if you've got Pure Moods, and you should, you've got it), but since I'm a nice dude I'll throw in "Russian Story" as well.

Jan Hammer - Crockett's Theme




Jan Hammer - Russian Story



No comments: