Y'all: we moved.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://discohorror.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The effect of adding another zero... nothing!


So last year sometime I came across an amazing remix of a group whose name intrigued me, Principles Of Geometry. In particular the track I heard was the Joakim remix of POG's "A Mountain For President", the original of which featured Sebastien Tellier. All good names in my book and the track turns out to be an amazing epic of ambient synths laid over a mix of arpeggiated basslines, electronic humming, and tom fills. Through this brilliant sonic haze comes the stabbing vocoded vocals of an androgenous robot driving a speedboat off the coast of Miami at a sunset in 1984, pure bliss.

Principles Of Geometry - A Mountain For President (Joakim Remix)







So basically I loved the track. I loved it so much that when I saw a new release by the group on a special limited edition single sided pressing with a rad etching on the b-side, I jumped at it. But the moral here is that I should have pulled my head out of my ass and done some research on the record because it is nothing bad necessarily. Just a sadly dated sounding track. Who would have known, the original of "A Mountain Of President" was pretty dope, but slapping Beastie Boys vocals over a glitchy chopped beat with lyrics of political progress more than four years outdated - it's just not really a time I wish to reminisce on. But maybe some of you out there will like it more than me, or maybe we'll find ourselves in a nu-glitch scene within the year, and this track will be a hidden precursor to the movement, but I hope that's not the case. (Also, note to self: even if the word geometry is in the name of your group, don't go throwing a bunch of fucking math jargon in your song titles trying to sound clever). I hate to get all preachy, sorry for the bitter post!

Principles Of Geometry - The Effect Of Adding Another Zero (Principles Of Geometry's Distributive & Associative Part One)
(removed as per artist's request, listen and buy here!)

No comments: