Y'all: we moved.

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://discohorror.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Vamos a la Playa, Hater

HEY!

Y'all: summer is here. Basically. I mean, it's been a little rainy, a little chilly, but it's summer where it counts—in my heart. Right? I went back to Jersey this weekend, and, guys, I packed shorts. I didn't end up wearing them, partly because it was cold, and also because I didn't end up leaving the house. Also: some of my friends went to the beach. The beach! Obviously, I wasn't invited. But I bet they had fun!

And as I was sitting in my house on Friday night, re-watching episodes of How I Met Your Mother while my parents had a party, I couldn't help but think of my friends, at the beach, and wonder what music they were listening to. Probably Lady Gaga! But if I had been there, I would have made sure they were listening to something far more appropriate--something like "Vamos a la Playa" by Righeira.

Here's the video, starring a young Jake Gyllenhaal:



Now, as I'm sure you know, one of the great things about this blog is that we're very smart, and we like to teach people. It should come as no surprise, therefore, to learn that Disco Horror is in many ways a "bilingual" blog (or, "el blog"): both Jimmy and I passed Spanish 102; Jimmy lives in San Francisco, which is a city with a Spanish name; my girlfriend's last name is sort of vaguely "Latin," insofar as it ends in a vowel, and has a "z" in it. So we're eminently qualified to translate the song, which turns out to be kind of a bummer:

We go to the beach
The bomb exploded
The radiation toasts
And blend with blue
We go to the beach
Everyone with hats
The radioactive wind
Dishevels our hair
We go to the beach
At the end the sea is clean
No more dirty fish
Or fluorescent water.

Jeez, Righeira, way to bum everyone out! Still, it's better than the Notorious B.I.G.'s song about disliking beaches, "Playa Hata"—plus, how many people actually speak Spanish. Can't be that many, right? Please enjoy!





No comments: